We believe that science is of the essence. Research is at the heart of science. The Suraj Eye institute is committed to research and we have done what we could. Read on about the exciting research that has impacted the sight and lives in some way across the world.
- The Central India Eye and Medical Study: This was a population based study done in the rural areas around Nagpur on 4711 subjects. This study was done in associated with Professor Jost Jonas from Heidelberg University with the support of Heidelberg Engineering. The study resulted in determing the normative data for Intra ocular pressure, axial length, central corneal thickness, optic disc size, Uncorrected visual acuity, moderate and severe visual impairment, prevalence of daibetes, hypertension, Venous occlusions, Age related macular degeneration and Diabetic Retinopathy. All these papers found a home in top notch journals ranging from Ophthalmology to American Journal of Ophthalmology and Investigations in Visual Science
- Central India Childrens Eye Study: This involved a study of 12000 children in the local government schools. The children were examined for vision, slit lamp evalution or Vitamin A deficiency, Squint and presence of visual impairment and other sight threatening diseases. This was a significant effort and resulted in determining the prevalence oif Vitamin A deficiencyand Visual Impairment in Nagpur. These articles were pubished in International Journals and it is hoped they might have created awareness to improve nutrition and eye health for school children.
- Deep Learning Study in Glaucoma. Collaboration with Dr. Michael Girard. Singapore National University. The study aims to determine by artificial intelligence, the differentiation between normals and glaucoma by looking at the features of the optic disc in Enhanced Depth Imaging with the spectral domain OCT and correlating it with other clinical ophthalmic features.
- Non Communicable Diseases Risk Factor Collaboration with Suraj
Eye Institute. This has resulted in several
- 2017 Worldwide trends in blood pressure from 1975 to 2015: a pooled analysis of 1479 population-based measurement studies with 19.1 million participants. Lancet
- 2016 A century of trends in adult human height. eLife
- 2016 Worldwide trends in diabetes since 1980: a pooled analysis of 751 population-based studies with 4.4 million participants. Lancet
- Global Burden of Disease. IHME, Seattle Washington. Dr. Vinay Nangia is a collaborator and coauthor in this truly important work. This has led to several important publications that have resulted in significant changes in the way that countries and governments deal with health care issues.
- Deep learning and Asian Epidemiology Consortium: The Suraj Eye Institute will collaborate with Singapore National Eye Center on these two projects using the Central India Eye and Medical Sudy data and photographs for the epidemiology data and the deep learning program respectively.
- The Global Burden of Disease Vision loss Expert Group. Dr. Vinay Nangia is a collaborator in this group for South Asia. This is a group that brings out data and publications on.
-  . This involves characterising the optic disc and the macula and retinal nerve fiber layer in myopia. A Tsunami of myopia has swept across the world and it will reach India sooner than later. High myopia is a significant cause of visual impairment and we would like to learn more about it in India.